In 1985, The Counseling Team International (TCTI) began providing employee support services to law enforcement, fire, emergency services and governmental agencies in the State of California, as well as nationwide. The Founder and Director Nancy K. Bohl-Penrod, Ph.D. began contracting with the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department to provide Stand by Status (SBS) 24/7/365 Critical Incident Stress Management services (CISM) to Sheriff’s personnel involved in shootings. This immediate intervention decreased Worker’s Compensation claims to such a degree that TCTI was encouraged and asked to expand their services to counseling San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department personnel and their family members for personal problems along with offering many training classes.
In 1986, Training became very important to The Counseling Team International’s (TCTI’s) success. Training reaches out to many people who otherwise would not have any contact with the mental health field. TCTI created their training division which develops classes to meet the needs of all they serve. TCTI’s Staff are Adjunct Professors for many colleges and universities in Southern California. They have been guest speakers for the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA), California Highway Patrol (CHP), the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC), and the Federal Air Marshal Service (FAMS) as well as many police and fire academies. TCTI’s Instructors are certified to teach for the International Critical Incident Stress Foundation (ICISF), Law Enforcement Wellness Association (LEWA), Police Officer Standards of Training (POST), Standards and Training for Corrections (STC), Board of Registered Nursing (BRN), Continuing Education Units (CEU), ICEMA for Emergency Medical Technicians (EMT), paramedics and the QPR Institute.
In 1987, TCTI’s Employee Support Services Program was created to help the employees of companies and/or departments and their eligible dependents in solving personal and emotional problems. The employees and their eligible dependents can call directly for help without going through a supervisor. TCTI’s counseling has helped in areas such as stress, depression, marriage and family/relationships, substance abuse, weight control, financial difficulties, suicide ideation and career concerns. The Counseling Team International’s Employee Support Program quickly expanded and was offered to many other police and fire departments throughout Southern California.
In addition, in 1987, The Pre-employment Psychological Testing Division was formed by Dr. Larry Davis who was the Director until his retirement. After his retirement in 2005, Dr. Kathleen Wellbrock became the Clinical/Assistant Director. Due to high demand TCTI increased their team of clinical psychologists to help with this division. TCTI’s Clinical Psychologists conducting the oral interviews are incompliance with the California Government Code 1031 (f)(2)(B), which obligates TCTI’s Clinical Psychologists to meet applicable education and training procedures set forth by the California Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST). TCTI Clinical Psychologists build a personal relationship with the departments and provides the contracts with easy access and good communication.
In 1988, Peer Support Programs for law enforcement, fire and other organizations were developed by TCTI. It is one of the most important training programs that TCTI has conducted all over the nation and in Canada. TCTI has trained over 12,000 peer supporters in the EMS Field including California Highway Patrol (CHP), Kansas Highway Patrol (KHP), Washington State Patrol (WSP), Canadian Royal Mounted Police (RCMP), Kaiser Hospitals, Cal Fire, The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA), United States Border Patrol (USBP), Federal Air Marshal Service (FAMS), United States Marshal Service (USMS), Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA), United States Postal Inspectors (USPI) United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)/Office of Inspector General (OIG) and various local law enforcement and fire agencies throughout Southern California.
In 1989, the Crisis Negotiation Team (CNT) for TCTI was formed. Dr. Bohl-Penrod was asked to attend the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s (FBI’s) Basic and Advanced “Hostage Negotiation” (CNT) training in Quantico, Virginia. Since that time, TCTI has recognized the importance of consulting to law enforcement Crisis Negotiation Teams (CNT). The majority of TCTI’s Mental Health Professionals have attended both Basic and Advanced Crisis Negotiation Training (CNT).
TCTI employs a professional support staff to assist the Director and a team of dedicated mental health professionals and Associates throughout the nation. They are licensed Mental Health Professionals from many disciplines who have responded to major disasters and critical incidents
- The Oklahoma Bombing in Oklahoma City
- The Unabomber case in Sacramento
- The Tornado in Oklahoma City in 1999
- Hurricane Andrew in Florida
- Hurricane Katrina in Louisiana
- TWA Flight 800 Airline accident in New York
- Alaska/US Airline accident
- The Los Angeles Riots
- The ATF Incident in Waco, Texas
- The Ski Patrol Deaths at Mammoth Ski Lake
- The Avalanche in Wrightwood, California
- The School Shooting at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado
- The School Shooting at Springfield High School in Eugene, Oregon
- The School Shooting at Santee High School in California
- The School Shooting at Cajon High School in California
- The School Shooting at Red Lake High School in Minnesota
- The Terrorist Attack on the World Trade Center in New York
- The Terrorist Attack on The Pentagon in Virginia
- The 2002 Typhoon in Guam
- The 2003 Firestorms of Southern California
- The 5 deaths of Riverside County’s US Forest Service Personnel during the 2006 Esperanza Fire
- The 2007 Firestorm of Southern California
- The Seal Beach Beauty Salon Shooting
- 2010 Haiti Catastrophic Earthquake
- 2011Edison Workplace Violence Shooting
- 2012 Big Bear Manhunt Death of Detective Mackay and Officer Crain
- Los Angeles International Airport TSA shooting/death and injuries to TSA officers
- The San Bernardino Inland Regional Center Terrorist Attack
- Las Vegas Route 91 Harvest Festival Shooting
- 2017 California Tubbs and Thomas Wildfires
- 2018 Santa Barbara County Mudslides
- Yountville Pathway Veteran Home Shooting
In 1994, TCTI formed a Line of Duty Death Response Team (LODDRT). This team consists of mental health professionals, peer supporters, chaplains, Concerns of Police Survivors (COPS) and works within a collaborative spirit. This team has responded to approximately 125 line of duty deaths (LODD) since 1986, members of TCTI have faithfully attended and dedicated their time to police week in Washington, D.C.